ASC Judge's Checklist
- Show Rule Booklet
- Band numbers of all breeders (supplied by ASC Secretary)
- List of ASC Members in good standing for the current year
(if someone enters their old bird but is not a current member, they
are not elibible to win) (supplied by ASC Secretary)
- 3 medallions and 5 rosettes (sent to each judge directly from manufacturer
as ordered by the ASC secretary)
- Best In Show Certificate, signed by judge with name of show and date.
Consider adding the canary's band number and exhibitor's number at the end of
- Plastic sleeve to protect the Best In Show Certificate, give to the
- Score sheets (double paged copies supplied by ASC Secretary)
- Extra score sheets (single copies for potential new judges or
anyone in the audience)
- pens and sharpened pencils
- Timer (eg. little kitchen timer that can be set for 20 minute interval
and quickly reset)
- reference sheet indicating desired conformation and lists
possible faults, includes notes on the range of rendition scores (20's,
30's, 40's, 50's) for easy reference
- Note Pad (8½" × 11")
- hole punch for the steward to punch out show tags
- Couple of file folders to hold and separate paperwork
- Paper clips
- Extra set of cage numbers 1->10 (Used to label cages if sponsoring
club does not provide)
- Scotch tape, masking tape, duck tape
- Magnifier (may need to check bands)
- Towels (for covering cages of any excessively loud birds
- large 11"×17" gridded sheet marked with intervals of one
working from 100 down to about 70 for keeping track of the scores
for best birds for the day and avoid any ties. The sheet lists at the
top the following: Cage Number/Group it was seen in/ Coformation score/
Rendition score/ Comments; and along the left margin is the total score
eg, 100.....99.....98.....etc. Very handy system developed by Carl
Montan and Daniel Iacovone.
- Copy of the ASC Constitution & bylaws in case any questions arise or
one of the exhibitors has a question
- Extra 100 watt light bulbs to use in judging room
- Donate a good pair birds for the host club auction or raffle
- Other gifts for the host club, eg. a
cassette, CD or two of bird songs
- Reference material to show to exhibitors and guests, eg.
interesting articles on song, a copy of Marilyn Simons
book on how AS Singers are judged
- show catalog (if one was sent to you)
Check with Local Show about:
- hotel reservations
- transportation arrangements from home to show city
- transportation between hotel, show hall, show banquet
- additional host club contact person
- host club awards
- Reading Glasses or others needed for judging.
- Water, throat lozenges, life savers, etc.
- Aspirin or Tylenol
- perscription medicines
- Pack comfortable clothing
- Overnight bag with change of clothes
- Clock with alarm for wake up
- nice suit or dress (if attending a formal awards banquet)
- Pleasant and cheerful attitude
- Re-read the rules and standards several times a few weeks before the show.
- Review ASC Constitution & bylaws just before each show.
- Practice scoring your own birds.
- Determine your scoring ranges for an average, good, very good bird.
- Make sure all parties are in agreement with arrangements and fees for
your stay. Get written confirmation of arrangements.
- Converse with the show steward before the show date to make sure they
set the judging table with lighting and backdrop which works best for
- Keep the best interests of all ASC members in mind.
Promote goodwill and a friendly attitude.
Be mindful of new breeders and be willing to share your knowledge.
- For judges who are flying, hand the medallions to the security
checkers at the gate to hand inspect - if buried in your luggage, they
will pull you aside and sort through your bags for a possible bomb!
To send additional suggestions and comments,
click here to contact the webmaster.
Return to ASC Homepage